The Translation and Languages Office team is involved in an Erasmus Plus project, IC-English innovative platform for adult language education under the funding of the Erasmus Plus Program.
This project is developed in the scope of the Key Action2- “Cooperation for Innovation and the Exchange of Good Practices”, and is coordinated by Ana Cunha the Translation and Language Office Coordinator
The project “IC- ENGLISH- Innovative Platform for Adult Language Education” consists in focusing on the needs of English teachers working with adults with low competences and skills. Project results are to help these teachers by providing them with appropriate knowledge, resources and tools; however, these resources are to really support teachers at the meta-level of adult education. All resources – developed results- will be available on IC-ENGLISH multimedia platform.
The partners have had noticed the existence of common problems in the field of teaching adults, such as:
● overloaded textbooks with too few exercises activating new material, resulting from, among others, the fact that textbooks are written in series; however, in fact, adults rarely learn the language by continuing education year after year; they usually learn intermittently, and many people finish learning at a B1 level;
● teachers’ lack of knowledge about andragogy, learning styles, motivation, diagnosis of needs, recognition of learning convictions, skills in how to translate this into adult classes;
● in teaching people with low competences/skills – grammatical sections in textbooks are a problem: linguistic jargon, explanation of grammatical problems often requires inference/ analytical skills;
● low attendance, learning on and off – language learning requires regularity and adults often work a lot and find it difficult to combine work, family with learning;
In order to solve the above-mentioned problems partners decided to assemble an interdisciplinary transnational team of experts consisting of: teaching methodologists, training techniques specialists, andragogy experts, psychologists, experienced English teachers, as well as media and IT specialists.
The project assumes the use of modern technologies. As part of the project, a pilot cycle will be conducted: the International School of Language Teachers. An international group of English teachers, as part of a joint workshop, will test the developed products, assimilate their practical application, and then use in their daily work with adult learners.
This project would provide a practical e-book for English teachers with the theoretical basics – andragogy, specificity of adult education, barriers, diversity of learning styles, etc. (O1). It would create Training Materials ready-to-use lesson plans with exercise materials and multimedia for adult learners based on particular universal thematic modules (O2). E-learning lessons that are multimedia consisting of a coherent course designed for independent work of English teachers who will be able to improve their competencies in teaching adults. (O3).
Funding: Erasmus + Program (European Union)
Duration: 18 months
The project brings together 3 entities from 3 European Union countries listed below:
• Euro-Forum Spółka Jawna
• GLAFKA S.R.O.
• Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias (Portugal)