The Translation and Languages Office team is involved in an Erasmus Plus project, A Virtual Solution for a comprehensive and coordinated training for Foreign Language Teachers in Europe under the funding of the Erasmus Plus Program.
This project is developed in the scope of the Key Action2- “Cooperation for Innovation and the Exchange of Good Practices”, and is coordinated by Ana Cunha the Translation and Language Office Coordinator
According to recent studies developed by the European Commission, there is an urgent need to improve Initial Teacher Education (ITE) to make it more attractive, collaborative and system-wide focused. Some of the detected competencies and selection, short term vision and poor evaluation system performance. VIR_TEACH is a step forward to advance on the previous work developed by other networks that have been pursuing the internationalisation of educational practice. While the labour mobility of this sector is in continuous growth, there is no unified format for teacher training at European level. Neither the digital platforms for promoting mobility, nor unified digital tools for the mentoring the needs of students in their internship phase.
The creation of the digital space suggested in VIR_TEACH (A Virtual Solution for a comprehensive and coordinated training for foreign language TEACHers in Europe) project would foster the internationalization and convergence of national formats, as well as the exchange of methodologies and good practices. The objectives are:
- To design of user-friendly and useful digital tools aimed at ITE, focused on knowledge transfer, social networking and follow-up during the internship phase.
- To research into a coherent competencies framework and the broad outlines of institutional action.
- To promote the sharing of innovative practices in the initial training of language teachers and the internationalization of the respective training practices, progressing towards the European Convergence.
This project would provide a compendium of good practices and resources for trainee-teachers (O1). It would create a digital space of encounter and exchange between the teacher trainers, the students and the pre-service and in-service centers, providing in addition a digital space to enhance a greater coherence between the training and the internship phase (O2). A series of guidelines will be published, specifically for public administrators (O3). Also, two events will be organised, to disseminate these outputs and collect feedback: An International Workshop and Formative Evaluation and the First European Conference on Foreign Languages Teachers Training.
Funding: Erasmus + Program (European Union).
Duration: 36 months
The project has 5 entities from 5 countries of the European Union as follows:
• Universidad de Burgos (UBU)
• UC Limburg (UCLL)
• Szczecińska Szkoła Wyższa Collegium Balticum (SSW CB)
• Universitatea Crestina Dimitrie Cantemir
• Universidade Lusófona de Humanidades e Tecnologias (ULHT)